Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Little of This and a Little of That

We've been busy, busy, busy the past couple of weeks, and for the life of me, I can't think of anything we're really done to be all that busy.  Here are a few of the things we managed to squeeze in our otherwise loaded days.
On Saturday, we got the chicken cook all ready for the winter.  The door opens and closes a lot easier now.

We keep thinking that we're going to get out of the chicken business, and then we go ahead and get new chicks.  Maybe we're in it for the long haul.

I ordered this leaf blower-mulch maker from an infomercial.  It has been a great little toy!  You can suck up stuff, and it mulches it.  We sucked up all the straw and turned it into garden mulch!

We harvested the last of the garden this weekend.  Sonia sent me the cool sweatshirt.  Isn't it great!

We both had the day off today for Veteran's Day.  We decided to go hike the Hogback Trail.  I really enjoyed the hike.  I didn't complain or whine at all this time!





Take a good last look at our Silverleaf Maples.  We're getting them taken out at the end of the week.  They've been dying for several years.  This year we discovered a wood boar wasp in the dying wood.  It's time to have them removed.  I'm sad.  I love those trees.

Our kids spent many happy hours in these trees.  


We went out one evening to take scraps to the chickens, and we found hundreds of these beasts emerging from the dead wood on the tree by the chicken coop.

We took pictures of them and took them to Holiday Nursery, where we received the sad news that it's time to get the trees taken out.  We knew it already.  We've known it for four or five years.  We just didn't want to actually believe it.

2 comments:

  1. It'll be really sad to see those trees go. I love those trees, but I see why they have to go. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of a wood boar wasp, but that is VERY sad about the trees! Are you going to plant new ones?

    ReplyDelete