Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Snow Day!!!

Hooray!  We had a snow day today!  Talk about perfect timing!  Tomorrow is my birthday, so I decided to make Whoppie Pies to take to class tomorrow to celebrate!  Since I share a birthday with George Washington, I decided to go with a cherry filling--you know, the cherry tree bit!

Auntie Jo and Uncle Al gave us a Whoppie Pie maker for Christmas, and we hadn't had occasion to try it yet, so with the snow day, we decided to try it out.  The whole thing turned out to be a comedy of errors. 

I knew that you could use a cake mix to make the cookie part, so I got a cake mix out and followed the directions (almost) on the package for making a cake.  Then I noticed that I wasn't supposed to use the cake directions, so I quickly got a 9 by 13 pan ready to use the cake mix as a cake, and dumped the batter in the pan and started baking it.

I went and got another cake mix out and started using the whoppie pie recipe for it.  When I got the the part about adding eggs, I realized I had forgotten to put the eggs in the cake that I had just put in the oven, so I pulled it out of the oven, scraped the batter back into the bowl, and added the eggs.  Then I stuck the batter into a Bundt pan.  I figured we could use it for my birthday cake tomorrow.  (Susan had a different plan for my cake, but you know about the best laid plans...)  It looks like the cake turned out alright.  We'll find out tomorrow.



Anyway, after I started in with the second cake mix, I got all the stuff in it, and it looked really watery.  I looked at the cake mix box, and surprise!  It was a brownie mix. Susan and I added another brownie mix, and then we added stuff to make it just a regular brownie mix recipe, and we set out making whoppie pies.


This is the whoppie pie baker full of little browinie bites.

The cookie parts are all cooked and ready for the filling.

Susan and I made cherry cream filling for the whoppie pies.

Here they are ready to go!  Aren't they cute?

They really are tasty and delicious!

The one big drawback when one makes so many cooking faux pas is that there are mountains of dishes to take care of afterwards.  Thank goodness we had whoppie pies to give us a little energy!

1 comment: