Sunday, December 31, 2023

December at Our House

 We had a wonderful December this year.  We didn't spend as much time going to obligatory parties and activities this year.  Dad's change of jobs is great in that respect.  My work party was the evening of our last day of school, but we took off for the valley right after school and missed it.  I'm okay with that!  I also chose to be the keeper of the names instead of participating in the Secret Santa week of gift exchanges this year.  It was liberating!
I didn't take many pictures of Holiday Fun at school.  

We did a week of "Gingerbread Man" stories and activities.  We decorated Gingerbread cookies.

Every year, the kids write letters to Santa Claus.  Then later, Santa Claus brings the letters back to school and reads his reply to the kids.

I tell the kids that it's Mr. Decker dressed up like Santa.  Every year, there's at least one kid who's really afraid until they find out it's Mr. Decker.

I had a run of about three weeks when I lost one kid after another to the flu or the RSV virus.  I only had 13 kids here this day.


We had a Snow Day in December.

I helped Carol and Mark with some of their Christmas decorations.

On our way back to Gallup, we stopped by the cemetery and put Carol's wreaths on my parents' and Irene Jones' graves.

The dad got us Electric Assist bikes for Christmas.


We made Latkes and brisket for our Hanukah celebration. 

It was Christmas Twins Day at Red Rock!

Making the Christmas Fruitcake


Celebrating Festivus!

We bought a meatloaf from Albertson's Deli when it was on sale.  I'm sorry to say that Albertson's meatloaves are way better than mine.

We made a full turkey dinner for Christmas Eve.





This year's Giving Machine!



Brian, Chelsea, David, Peter and Emily came for a couple of days.  Grandad was greeted at the door with a snowball fight when he came home from work!


Brian and Chelsea went to the Snowflake Temple, and the kids stayed with me!


This is a Chocolate Set that Auntie Jo left to me.  Al said that Karl G. Maeser's father, Johann Gottleib Maeser, who was a master china painter in Germany, painted this.  I don't know if  Johann painted it for sure, or not, but it is old, and it did belong to Karl G. Maeser, and his father was, indeed, a master china painter.

Making the New Year's tamales.

We finished our New Year's puzzle.












1 comment:

  1. Those assists will be great with all your hills!
    I always forget about Festivus since I never watched Seinfeld but I like meatloaf, so I ought to do it for that and the goofy pole. It's so silly and I love that you did it.
    We have that same dremel (or at least a very similar model). It's great.
    Isn't the "More Than Just a Star" book so sweet? I got it the year it came out because I just had to have it because it was a sweet concept and the clincher was the little shepherd boy being named Micah.
    Yummm, tamales.

    ReplyDelete